Monday, March 15, 2010

Second Sample QRI4

I administered another QRI4 to the same student, but this time I chose what seemed to be a non-fiction story versus the narrative type that I selected the first time. The results were pretty similar however, the student had much better detail recall this time compared to the first. Also, he seemed to be able to answer the questions with greater accuracy. Here is a breakdown:

I began with the Word List for the Pre-Primer level, and the student scored: -14/20 for Total Correct Automatic (70% - Instructional Level)) -15/20 for Total Correct Identified (75% - Instructional Level) -29/20 for Total Number Correct, so it seems that this student is on the Instructional Level for word list knowledge, so I then proceeded to have the student read the passage "People At Work". This student had 5 miscues (4 self-corrects), which resulted in a 91.8% accuracy and placed him on the Instructional Level and is very close to where he scored with the prior reading. I then asked for details from the story, or ideas recalled. The assessment listed 17 ideas and the student came up with 6-which was an improvement over the last QRI4. Last I asked the student the questions and the Number Correct Explicit was 4, which placed the student at the Instructional level. I'm not sure if the student had an easier time reading the passage because of the text structure, or maybe he was just not as tired as last time.

I found that after I administered the test a few times, I practiced on my older child as well, it got a bit easier in terms of how I prepared the student and myself for the different components, for example, I focused more on the content of the text, while carefully watching for miscues so I would be more informed at the detail and questioning phases. I like this tool, I feel that it is easy enough to use so that the data can be used to help drive instruction, it's not too intense or too long but by the end of the assessment, the students seemed to be happy to be done!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the student definitely had some improvement with the assessment in terms of retelling the story and answering the questions. It may be, like you said, that the student had an easier time reading this passage because of the structure. From observing over the past semesters I have seen some students read different stories at the same grade level and have more understanding of one. I think it depends on the structure, the different words, and how interesting the story is to the student. I think it's a great tool also and easy to use, and yes they are all happy to be done at the end!!

    ReplyDelete