Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sample QRI4 assessments

I administered one QRI4 assessment a student in Kindergarten.

I began with the Word List for the Pre-Primer level, and the student scored:
-13/20 for Total Correct Automatic (65% - Frustration Level))
-14/20 for Total Correct Identified (70% - Instructional Level)
-27/20 for Total Number Correct (74% - Instructional Level)

So it seems that this student is on the Instructional Level for word list knowledge, so I then proceeded to have the student read the passage "Spring and Fall". This student had 6 miscues (2 self-corrects), which resulted in a 92.8% accuracy and placed him on the Instructional Level (What is Total Acceptablility? Does it include self-c0rrections?)

I then asked for details from the story, or ideas recalled. The assessment listed 28 ideas and the student came up with 8-not sure if that is scored or just noted. Last I asked the student the questions and the Number Correct Explicit was 3, which actually placed the student at the Frustration level, but I think the student was getting tired by then:)!

So my reflection on this student is that he still has work to do in terms of developing fluency and comprehension in his reading. Although word list knowledge was sound, I was concerned that there was too much effort going on to decode, that the student had a hard time recalling details from the story. I would work to help develop the phonemic awareness as well as sight word knowledge.

I know I still have one more to do, I think I am going to have the same student read an expository passage, but the word list is the same, correct?

1 comment:

  1. It definitely makes it more diffiult when you don't have the students full attention or they are tired and not motivated! I think the most difficult part for especially a kindergartener is retelling the story with all the details. It's hard to rememeber all of them at that age, which makes it hard for them to put everything together and comprehend what they have read. As you mentioned, I think it would be best to help the student with phonemic awareness and sight words, and maybe even practice pausing during the story to help them put together what has happened so far before going on.

    ReplyDelete