Monday, April 19, 2010

Reading Comprehension Video

Comprehension is the goal of all reading and in the video Professor Duke said that it can be defined as the simultaneous extraction and construction of meaning.

I thought the video did a good job at pointing out the types of things that good readers do. Here are some of the examples they used:
  • They preview the text and think about what it is about and what they are going to learn from it (purpose of text)
  • They are extremely active when reading
  • They look at the text structure
  • They make meaning as they go, question the text and react to it as well
  • They apply background knowledge

The video also informed about what teachers can do to develop comprehension; things like:

  • Explicitly teaching comprehension strategies
  • Building student vocabularies
  • Engaging students in discussions about the text and negotiating meaning in a social context
  • Building students knowledge base

To help develop comprehension and help struggling readers teachers can:

  • Create mini-lessons that focus specifically on comprehension and work in small groups
  • Explicitly explain the strategies that they are teaching and model those strategies for the students
  • Use coaching to engage students instead of relying too heavily on whole group instruction
  • Provide lots of opportunities for students to listen to text and practice independent reading and writing (both in and out of school)
  • Teach multiple strategies (context clues, prior knowledge & world knowledge, drawing inferences, look-backs) and teach them how to coordinate multiple strategies
  • Build vocabulary by way of interventions
  • Ask rich questions that are open-ended and complex. These types of questions help students make deeper connections to the text and they will eventually incorporate these questions and automatically use strategies as they read
  • Create authentic learning activities
  • Especially important for struggling readers is for teachers to monitor students to help them clarify the text they are reading
  • Students who struggle tend to have a hard time with metacognitive activities, like thinking about their own thinking. Teachers can have students re-read sections for clarification and use graphics like charts or pictures to help make connections between and to the text

I thought that there were many great ideas about teaching comprehension. The ideas in the video that I really liked were the explicit teaching of multiple strategies that students can use to help them understand and make connections and modeling those strategies. I also like the idea of coaching students and using mini-lessons for the majority of instruction time rather than relying on a whole group instruction model.

I think I will try to focus on creating authentic learning activities whereby students will be more likely to make meaning from text and apply it to their own lives. I like the expample in the video where the teacher had the students interview their parents about their experiences in America versus those of their home countries, I think the book they were reading was called Why People Move. She did a good job of having the students connect their own personal family experiences to the text.

For the struggling readers, I think monitoring their thinking and modeling text are some of the best ways to help them increase their ability to make connections and increase comprehension. I like the re-read strategy and having them use whatever graphics are available to help them understand and clarify the text. Also helping students improve their metacognitive skills by questioning and re-reading are very good techniques I will use to help these students.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment